The Early 1900's
By 1890 Henry Hewett had built up a good local trade with 46 tied houses in Berkshire and Hampshire, but he died in 1893 leaving his ageing widow Mary as owner of a business producing 20,600 barrels a year.
Under a good manager, who became Managing Director, Henry Hewett & Co. continued to prosper but by 1908, following the deaths of both Henry Hewett's widow and the manager, output fell dramatically.
In 1911, with it’s profits plummeting, Henry Hewett & Co. amalgamated with DyMore Brown & Son, a brewery of Queens Road, Reading.
Henry Hewett's Waltham St Lawrence brewery was closed down and the brewing transferred to Dymore Brown’s brewery in Queens Road, Reading.
Henry Hewett & Co. retained the retail outlets including The Fox Beer House, which were all supplied by DyMore Brown & Son.
In 1927 Henry Hewett & Co. and DyMore Brown & Son were bought outright by Moorlands of Abingdon and absorbed into their business.
Moorlands became a limited company in 1944 and Henry Hewett & Co. and DyMore Brown & Son were wound up.
During this period the licencee's of The Fox Inn can be traced from Census records and from Kelly's directories:
Albert Yeomans of Cove served in the 50th (Hampshire) Company, Imperial Yeomanry during the Anglo-Boer War in South Africa, between 1900 and 1901. On discharge, Albert's intended place of residence was the Potters Arms. In 1908 he married Ellen Youmans and on the 1911 census were the recorded licencees of The Fox.
Two years later, on May 10th 1913, Albert Yeomans died from a brain hemorrhage aged 33 and was buried in St. Johns graveyard, Cove.
Ellen Yeomans remained at the Fox, with her two sons, taking over the licence and running the pub with help from Mrs. Vera Hayes, who also resided at the Fox.
In 1931, with her two sons grown up, Ellen Yeomans left the Fox and took up a position of lady's maid and cook in the household of a Lieutenant Hubert Chevis at Blackdownt barracks Aldershot.
On the evening of the 20th June 1931, at Blackdown Barracks, Ellen Yeomans prepared Lt Chevis's favourite meal and one of the greatest unsolved murders of the 20th century unfolded: The Poisoned Partridge Murder.
The next recorded landlord was George Pierson shown in the Kelly's Directories from 1931, 1934 and 1939.
When The Fox Inn became a fully licensed public house is unknown but when George Pierson was publican in 1931 it was still a Beer House (BH), as shown on this 1932 O/S map – note the reference to Fox Lane.
Continue to - The 40 and 50's.